Table of content
Bun is a perfect tea time snack that goes amazingly with tea as well as coffee. There are various of bun recipe. There are sweet buns, basic buns, paao or ladi paao. Although being different in taste, they have very similar ways in which they are prepared. So, I am making today a very amazing sweet bun recipe which you will love. I have prepared this bun recipe both, with and without oven.
With what should we eat sweet bun?
Sweet buns go well with coffee and tea. You can also eat it combining with green or black tea. Sweet buns tastes awesome with peanut butter, jam or chocolate spread. You can also serve sweet buns cooked with some butter as an evening snack.
Pav buns are kept in fridge or outside?
When pav buns are just taken out from oven, wrap them with wet muslin cloth for 10 minutes and then allow them to cool down completely. Let them cool down at room temperature. And, once they are normal in temperature, you can keep them in refrigerator up to 5 days. In winters, buns may survive without fridge for one day. In summers, keep them in fridge only.
Recipe for bun
- 2.5 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 1 tbsp powdered brown sugar/ threaded mishri
- as required Warm water
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp cherries
Which yeast ?
Choosing right quality of yeast is important. There are two types of yeast. Active dry yeast and instant yeast. Active dry yeast needs to be dissolved in lukewarm water before using it, as it needs to be activated before use. On the other hand instant yeast can directly be used in any recipe. In my recipe I have used instant yeast which takes an hour to get doubled when mixed in flour.
Steps for bun recipe
- In a bowl, take 2.5 cups of whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt, cherries and yeast. Mix everything well.
- Now, start adding warm water to it and knead a sticky dough. Dough should not be hard. Knead the dough while adding small amount of water at a time.
- In case you are using active dry yeast, take 1/2 tsp yeast and sugar 1/2 tsp and dissolve both of them in 1/4th cup lukewarm water.
- Once the dough is bind well, start kneading it by stretching method. Stretching method means stretch the dough well and then collect it, and keep on repeating this process. Knead the dough with this method for at least 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take a small amount of butter in your hand and and knead it again. Knead dough by this way using a small amount of butter at a time. Knead it for 5 minutes. 1 table spoon of butter is required in kneading.
- Once you are done with the dough, divide it into small balls. Place the balls in the baking tray (lined with butter paper), side by side keeping distance of an inch between them.
- Cover the baking tray well and keep it in warm place for 1 to 1.5 hour.
- After an hour, take them out when doubled. Brush some olive or melted butter over buns.
Baking with oven
- Pre heat the oven for 10 minutes at toast mode.
- Now, keep the dough for baking at 200 degree C., for 20-25 minutes.
- After the time is over, check if the bread is done using a knife or toothpick. If it comes out clean, it is done. If not, then allow it to bake for another 5-7 minutes, depending on how much raw is it.
Baking without oven
- Take a deep pan or cooker and keep either a stand or a layer of salt over it. Cover it with lead and allow it to pre heat for 10 minutes at high flame. (In case you are using cooker, remove the whistle and then continue with all processes).
- After 10 minutes, keep the bread tin inside it and cover the lead. Flame should be low. It takes 25-30 minutes to bake. You can check if bread is done using a knife or toothpick. If still raw, allow it to bake for another 5-10 minutes.
Once buns are baked, cover them with a wet muslin cloth for 20 minutes. It makes them softer and spongy.