Table of content
Burger buns are not merely used for making burgers, but they go well as an evening snack tea or coffee. Burgers have been the love for people since the time it was discovered. Presence of burgers in almost all restaurants and cafes, is an instance of its popularity. There are many brands offering burger buns, but ever wondered how they cost to your health ? Yes, they are loaded with preservatives and harmful ingredients such as refined flour and refined oil. That is why, I have prepared whole wheat bun or atta bun which has brown sugar, rock salt and butter. Burger atta bun or this recipe for burger bun is free from any preservative and harmful ingredient.
Why not commercial burger bun?
You may have seen “INS” written as an ingredients ( shown in the picture below). INS is International Numbering System for additives, which have dangerous outcomes if added in more amount. (The picture shown below is the ingredient list of commercial burger bun of a very famous brand). Refined wheat flour is maida here, milk solids are effective for our organs and is difficult to digest. Refined sugar is another very harmful ingredient. So, here is the solution, recipe of atta bun or burger bun to make burgers and more.
why we need to moist bread with water?
Once buns are baked, we must immediately cover them with a wet muslin cloth, for 15 minutes. This keeps buns soft and moist. If you will not cover them with a wet cloth, they will become hard and stiff, which would not taste nice. Covering bread with wet cloth, also improves its texture and keeps it soft for longer time.
Why we use curd in bun?
Curd or buttermilk are often used in making of buns and breads as a substitute of yeast. Although, I have not yet tried any recipe without yeast, but It works well in place of yeast. Due to acidic properties of buttermilk and curd, they help in the fermentation of dough and thus result in proper nice bread like the yeast ones.
Recipe for burger bun
- 2.5 cup Whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp butter/olive oil
- ½ tsp rock salt
- 1 tbsp powdered brown sugar
- for garnish white sesame seeds
- 1 cup warm water
|Also read : 8 must try healthy substitutes of sugar|
Choosing right quality of yeast is important. There are two types of yeast. Active dry yeast and instant yeast. Active dry yeast needs to be dissolve in lukewarm water before using it, as it needs to be activated before use. On the other hand instant yeast can directly be used in any recipe. In my recipe i have used instant yeast which takes an hour to get doubled when mixed in flour.
Preparation for burger bun
- In a bowl, take 2.5 cup whole wheat flour. Add yeast, powdered brown sugar and rock salt. Mix everything well.
- Now, add in 1 cup of warm water and combine everything well.
- Transfer this mixture to a slab or spacious flat plate, and knead the dough for 10 minutes. Knead the dough by stretching and pulling method.
- After 10 minutes, add butter and again knead the dough for another 5 minutes.
- Once soft dough is ready. Transfer it to the same bowl again and cover it using food wrap well.
- Allow the dough to rest in a warm place for an hour. Dough will get double in this one hour duration.
- After an hour, when dough is doubled, divide it into 4 equal portions.
- Give the dough portions a proper round shape. Place them on the baking tray lined with butter paper. Grease the butter paper as well if needed.
- Once you have arranged the buns in the baking tray, garnish some sesame seeds over them.
- Keep the buns again in a warmer place by covering them well, as you did earlier.
- Dough(buns) will rise again in 10-15 minutes.
- Brush some oil over the buns.
Baking the burger buns
- Pre heat the oven for 10 minutes at toast mode or both rods on.
- Now, keep the dough for baking at 200 degree C., for 30-35 minutes.
- After the time is over, check if the buns are ready, using a knife or toothpick. If it comes out clean, it is ready. If not, then allow it to bake for another 5 minutes, depending on how much raw is it.
- Take a deep pan and keep either a stand or a layer of salt over it. Cover it with lead and allow it to pre heat for 10 minutes at high flame.
- (In case you are using cooker, remove the whistle and then continue with all processes). Rest of the process will be the same.
- After 10 minutes, keep the bun tray inside it and cover the lead. Flame should be low. It takes 30-35 minutes to bake. You can check if buns are ready, using a knife or toothpick. If still raw, allow it to bake for another 5-10 minutes.