Table of content
Although I am not a big fan of ladoos, but when my mom made these flax seed ladoo, I went crazy. I could not believe my taste buds, that flax seeds could be this tastier. Knowing the health benefits of flax seeds and that they are great for every age group, one must try this recipe.
What’s wrong with commercial ladoos?
There is nothing right with commercial laddos. Talking about ladoos of some specific brands, they use a lot of preservatives and harsh chemicals. To make ladoos long lasting they use a lot of preservatives which we are completely unaware of. Inclusion of synthetic food colors and artificial flavors is not a big deal for them. You may have seen “INS” written as an ingredients ( shown in the picture below). INS is International Numbering System for additives, which have dangerous outcomes if added in more amount. (The picture shown below is the ingredient list of commercial laldoo of a very famous brand).
There are no preservatives used in home made ladoos. But, when it comes to commercial ladoos of shops, they use Dalda/vanaspati ghee.It is extremely harmful for health. Dalda ghee is made of hydrogenated vegetable oil. Doctors recommend to avoid every food which contains in it hydrogenated oil. They used refined sugar and NOT brown or any better sugar substitute.
Benefits of flax seeds
- Being one of the oldest crop, it is higher in protein, omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. It is also rich in various vitamins and minerals.
- Flax seeds contains Lignanas which helps in reducing the risk of cancer. Those who eat flax seeds are less likely to develop the breast cancer disease
- Just one tablespoon of flax seeds contains 3 grams of fiber and thus it is rich in dietary fibers
- flax seeds contain both soluble and insoluble fibers. Wherein, soluble fibers helps in getting rid of constipation.
- they may also improve cholesterol. it contains in good cholesterol which is helpful for diabetic patient as well
- flax seeds may helps in to lower blood pressure. it may help to lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure
- it contains high quality plant-based protein and also helping in boosting immunity
- it keeps the hunger at stop which may help to reduce the weight . In simple words, it decreases the appetite due to which it helps in weight loss.
Flax seed ladoo
Total time and Ingredients
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Flax seeds
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Poppy seed
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 1 tbsp Pistachio
- 1 tbsp Almonds
- ½ cup Fox nuts (Makhana)
- 1 tbsp Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 3 tbsp Tragacanth (gond)
- ¼ cup chopped coconut
- ¾ cup powdered threaded mishri
Preparation for flax seed ladoo
- In a pan, dry roast flax seeds for 4-5 minutes at medium flame. Allow it to cool down for sometimes and prepare powder in the mixer grinder. Your flax seed powder is ready.
- In the same pan, take 1 tbsp ghee and roast cashews, almonds and pistachio into it. Fry fox nuts or makhana as well, in the same ghee along with dry fruits. Fry until they become crisp.
- Coarsely grind roasted cashews, almonds, pistachio, fox nuts, and walnuts in a mixer grinder. Keep this aside.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee in the same pan again, and fry Tragacanth (gond) till they pops up and turn crispy. And transfer it to another bowl. Crush the Tragacanth (gond) once fried.
- Finely chop 1/4 cup of dried coconut.
Making flax seed ladoo
- Now, take 1/2 cup ghee in the pan and add poppy seeds and whole wheat flour. In medium flame, cook whole wheat flour until golden brown.
- Once golden brown, add flax seed powder and cook for another 3-5 minutes on low flame.
- At this stage, turn off the flame and then add powdered threaded sugar and mix well.
- Then add again, dry fruit powder, raisins, crushed tragacanth (gond), and chopped coconut. Mix everything very well to prepare a combined mixture.
- It’s time to bind ladoos.
- Take a small portion in your hand and make round ladoos. You are required to prepare all ladoos before the mixture cools down completely.
- Your ladoos are ready !
Shelf life of flax seed ladoo
|In summer season, you can store them in air tight jar up to 15 days.|
|In winter season, you can store them in air tight jar up to one month.|