Table of content
This recipe belongs to my Nani’s treasure box! Because nani ki recipe has a separate fan base 🙂
Today i brought Krishna Janmashtami special recipe. India is hub of festivals. Krishna Janmashtami is one of the festival celebrated with happiness in India. In the occasion of God Krishna’s birth, this beautiful festival is celebrated with lot of joy here. People worship and offer various ladoos to god krishna, like water chestnut ladoo or “singhare k atte ka ladoo” besan ladoo, and so on. They also offer him his favourite sweet and kheer. That is why i also prepared Krishna Janmashtami special- water chestnut ladoo.
Water chestnut holds a religious belief in India. People, especially women who hold fasts for God and sake of their families, consume various recipes prepared from water chestnut. Thus, it is considered pure for those who holds fast.
The reason for being so popular is that it’s very beneficial for humans. It is rich in multiple nutrients.
Benefits of water chestnut
- Water chestnut forms bunch of nutrients and loaded with fiber.
- Most of the calories present in the water chestnut belongs to carbs. They have lower calories as more than 70% it is water.
- They are also rich in antioxidants which helps to protect human body from radicals. Also, they are helpful in combating stress issues.
- Also known to lower the blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart diseases. As, they are great source of potassium.
- Helps in losing weight, as it is high volume food which keeps the stomach full for longer time with fewer calories, helping to lose weight.
- It has also been found that it helps to reduce the risk of cancerous diseases as they have ferulic acid which lowers the risk of cancer.
- Known to reduce the chances of oxidative stress.
- Thus, knowing the benefits of water chestnut, we can healthily consume this by combining it with other health ingredients to enhance the taste as well.
In the occasion of janmashtami, I brought in a very healthy and tasty recipe of water chestnut ladoo/sweet balls or “singhare k atte ka ladoo”. If I am asked to describe this ladoo in a single word I would say “mouth melting” !
- ¾ cup Water chestnut flour
- ¼ cup powdered brown sugar
- ¼ cup Ghee
- 1 tbsp condensed milk
- 15 nos dry fruits (almond and cashews)
- In a hot pan, add ghee and water chestnut flour. Stir it for 5-7 minutes. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Add to this dried desiccated coconut, powdered dried fruit, powdered brown sugar. Add condensed too (optional).
- Combine everything well. Take small potion and make balls.
- Prepare all balls.
- Singhare ke atte k ladoo are ready.
Krishna Janmashtami special- water chestnut ladoo
- For Krishna Janmashtami special recipe of ladoo, in a hot pan, heat one forth cup of ghee. Once melted, add water chestnut flour and stir for 5-7 minutes on medium flame, until you get aroma of it or it started turning golden brown. At this stage, turn the flame off. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Chop some dried coconut, and grind it well. Add the roasted cashews and almonds, along with coconut.
- Now, add this coconut- dry fruit mix to the water chestnut. Along with this, add powered brown sugar or mishri and condensed milk to it(optional).
- Combine everything well using a spatula or your hands. Now, take small portion of it and start making balls as you do for any ladoo recipe.
- Prepare all the balls same way.
- Water chestnut sweet balls are ready !!