Table of content
- 1 History
- 1.1 Authentic Mayonnaise Recipe
- 1.2 What is mayonnaise made of ?
- 1.3 Is mayonnaise good for health?
- 1.4 How long does homemade mayonnaise last?
- 1.5 How to thicken mayonnaise?
- 1.6 Is olive oil mayonnaise healthy?
- 1.7 Is homemade mayonnaise safe to eat?
- 1.8 How to fix broken mayonnaise at home?
- 1.9 Mayonnaise Recipe
- 1.10 Some Dos’ and Donts’
- 1.11 Conclusion
Originally mayonnaise was discovered in Spain and Prance.Mayonnaise, also called mayo informally, is a thick creamy dip or dressing used in sandwiches, burger, salads, fries, etc. Mayo is also used as a base in sauces. It is very popular and is the demand of most of the people. Mayo arrived in India during 1990s, with global fast food companies.
Authentic Mayonnaise Recipe
Mayonnaise recipe date back to 19th century. Originally mayonnaise is prepared with the use of ingredients such as eggs, vinegar and oil. All these three are blended together to form a thick consistency of the dip. Protein and lecithin are present in eggs which acts as emulsifiers in mayonnaise.
Now, with the change in time and taste, veg eggless mayonnaise are too a good option. Alternatives are available for those as well, who have switched to vegan diet.
Here too, i have given the recipe of mayonnaise at home with easily available ingredients.
Here is the answered list of some questions that people commonly have regarding mayonnaise
What is mayonnaise made of ?
Mayonnaise is prepared using eggs, oil and vinegar. Sugar and some salt too are added for enhancing flavor and taste. But nowadays variations are available for mayonnaise ranging from veg mayonnaise to vegan version of mayonnaise.
Is mayonnaise good for health?
Mayonnaise could be good as well as bad depending on person’s diet and type of mayonnaise person wishes to consume. Mayonnaise present in the supermarkets cannot be considered as healthy. Factory manufactured mayonnaise mostly contains refined oil or what we call sunflower oil or vegetable oil which is extremely unhealthy for the body. They also have unnatural flavors and preservatives which makes it unsuitable for consumption.
How long does homemade mayonnaise last?
Homemade mayonnaise have a shelf life of two weeks. Although, it is recommended to consume homemade mayonnaise as early as possible. Try to make mayonnaise at home in smaller amount.
How to thicken mayonnaise?
Well, in case you are preparing mayonnaise at home using eggs, you can add two teaspoon of water to thicken it. If you are making a veg mayonnaise at home, recipe of which i too will be sharing. You need take refrigerated milk and olive oil. Once beaten, keep it in refrigerator. It will keep it thick.
Is olive oil mayonnaise healthy?
Absolutely yes! Olive oil is rich in mono saturated fats which are healthy to the body. It also contains in it good amounts of anti-oxidants. Olive oil also prevents strokes and acts as as a shield against heart diseases. Thus, using olive oil in mayonnaise it recommended in fact.
Is homemade mayonnaise safe to eat?
Undoubtedly yes. Homemade mayonnaise is free from any preservatives and harmful chemicals which ultimately passes it for consumption. Thus, if you want to eat mayonnaise, preparing it at home is the best possible option.
How to fix broken mayonnaise at home?
Mayonnaise with eggs
In case it is mayonnaise with eggs, you can add two teaspoon of hot water to fix it, if crumbled.
Veg mayonnaise/eggless mayonnaise
First of all, in order to avoid crumbled mayonnaise, you must take olive oil and milk both refrigerated. In case, it still gets crumbled, add a it of cream. However, there are high chances of crumbled mayonnaise again even if you have fixed it. This is what i tried. It got fixed initially but after a few minutes it again breaks.
Thus, these were some of the answers of the queries that people often ask.
Why you should discard factory manufactured or packed mayonnaise?
There are countless reasons on to why one should not eat packed mayonnaise available in super markets. One of the direct reason would be just turning the packet or box of your favorite mayonnaise. You will find most common ingredients counted as milk solids, refined oil/sunflower oil/vegetable oil, synthetic vinegar and artificial flavors. I am sure i need not explain the reasons for not consuming these. Yet in case you are unfamiliar with these, let me tell you these are DANGEROUS !
Why home made mayonnaise?
Home made mayonnaise is easy and quick to made. It has no preservatives, harmful chemicals and artificial flavors. It is completely safe to eat. As it is prepared using olive oil, the cholesterol content is good to health. You can eat risk-freely.
Nutritional chart of mayonnaise
|Nutritional value of mayonnaise||Per 100 grams|
|Total fat||75 g|
refrigerated full cream milk – 1/4 cup
refrigerated olive oil – 1/2 cup
brown sugar- 1/2 tsp
rock salt- 1/4 tsp
lemon juice/vinegar – 1/4 tsp
Preparation for mayonnaise recipe
- To make veg mayonnaise one needs either mixer grinder or hand blender or electric whisker.
- I am using mixer grinder here for this recipe.
- In the first step, in a mixer grinder, add 1/4th cup of milk, 1/3 rd cup of olive oil, 1/2 tsp brown sugar(powdered), 1/4th tsp rock salt and 1/4th tsp vinegar or lemon juice.
- Turn on the switch and grind the ingredients for 20 seconds.
- Now, open the lid and add remaining oil as per requirement. Grind again.
- If it is thick, it is done. If not done, grind it again.
- It should take a few minutes to be done.
- If it is thin, add cream of milk. And whisk again.
- If it is still thin, keep it in refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- Your home made veg mayonnaise is ready to eat.
Important thing to note down here is that when mayonnaise are prepared using olive oil, they may not get the desired consistency. The mayonnaise i prepared too, was runny in consistency than commercial ones. That is because olive oil do not have the ability to thicken. Although, when you will store this mayonnaise in refrigerator, it will become thicker in consistency. When refrigerated, it reaches desired consistency. The alternate option of olive oil remain is refined oil which I NEVER USE OR RECOMMEND. That is why, i prefer this way of making mayo dip.
Some Dos’ and Donts’
- You must use refrigerated or chilled full cream milk and olive oil.
- Do not add extra milk or lemon juice again after the first time.
- You may get your mayonnaise done after grinding it for the first time only, depending how careful you are.
- You must have to refrigerate mayonnaise for preservation.
- If your mayonnaise is crumbled, add half spoon of cream and grind again. There are high chances that it may get crumbled again as it is difficult to fix veg mayonnaise if crumbled.
- You can also add 1 tsp of yellow mustard, mixed herbs including oregano and chilli flakes to use this recipe as mayo dip which can be served with nachos, veg puff patty, and so on.
What one needs other than eating home made mayonnaise without any concern about its effects. As this recipe of mayonnaise is healthier as well as tastier and absolutely quick to prepare. You can use it with every possible dish in form of dressings, dip, sauce and so on.
Enjoy your homemade mayonnaise!
Also read the recipe of tomato ketchup
Follow us on Instagram