Table of content
- 1 History
- 2 Some common queries
- 3 Some facts about tomatoes
- 4 Why not packed tomato ketchup?
- 5 Why home made tomato ketchup?
- 6 Benefits of tomato ketchup
- 7 Nutritional chart of tomato ketchup
- 8 Recipe of tomato ketchup : easy and tasty
- 9 Dos’ and donts’
- 10 Tomato ketchup or chemical ketchup
- 11 Conclusion
Tomato ketchup is a kind of sauce used as a base for various recipes. Tomato ketchup is a sweet and tangy sauce or a dip, prepared using a lot of tomatoes. Tomatoes are the base for ketchup. Tomato ketchup are served with french fries, pizza, sandwiches, burgers and so on. Recipe of tomato ketchup is easy as well to prepare.
Tomato ketchup is the sauce which is present in almost everyone’s household. Whether it is children, adults or aged, ketchup is the love of everyone. But what would happen to a human body, if it will receive a lot of packed sauce!? It will starts developing diseases.
That is why, i am sharing the recipe of this very famous dip keeping in view the health factors of course.
Some common queries
What is the difference between tomato sauce and tomato ketchup?
There is not much difference between tomato ketchup and tomato sauce. There is a thin line difference between the two. On one side tomato ketchup is sweet and has higher sugar content (and other sweet spices), while the tomato sauce includes vegetable stock, oil and other spices. Generally, tomato ketchup is also referred as sauce.
How tomato ketchup is made?
Tomato ketchup is made up of tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and a little bit of salt. However, ingredients present is the manufactured or packed tomato ketchup is a lot different than home made ones. The process of making tomato ketchup requires heating up and cooling it down. And preserving it in the end.
Is tomato ketchup good for health?
Whether tomato ketchup is good for health or not depends on its source. Personally i consider home made tomato ketchup good to health and beneficial for cutting down cholesterol. It also improves eyesight and reduces the risk of prostate cancer. But when it comes to packed one, i consider them the most dangerous. As they are loaded with harmful chemicals and preservatives.
Can ketchup make you fat?
There is a lot of sugar content in tomato ketchup as its main ingredient is sugar. Thus, leading to gain weight if consumed frequently. Even a small amount of ketchup contains a lot of sugar in it, which also increases the probability of diabetes.
Some facts about tomatoes
- You can store tomatoes with their stem down.
- Proportion of water in tomato is about 94 per cent.
- There are more than 25 thousand variety of tomatoes.
- 24 pounds of tomatoes are consumed by an American during a year.
- Heaviest tomato weighted more than 3 kg.
- Tomato start losing their vitamin C in presence of sunlight.
Why not packed tomato ketchup?
Here are the reasons why one should never go for packed or factory made tomato ketchup:-
- Turn the packet or bottle of ketchup, pick up any brand, the amount (quantity) of tomatoes is less than 25 per cent.
- The tomatoes of ketchup lose their all nutrition during the process.
- About 1/4 bottle of ketchup is filled with sugar leading to heart diseases and high blood sugar level.
- Refined sugar adversely effects in long term.
- loaded with artificial flavor and red synthetic color.
- Loaded with a lot of preservatives and harmful chemicals
- Hyperglycemia in one of the side effect of consuming ketchup.
- Negatively impacts on potassium level.
- Consumption of ketchup also lead to tooth decay.
- There are some ingredients present in the tomato ketchup which are extremely harmful. One of those ingredient is msg, which adversely affects hypothalamus that controls various organ in the body.
- High fructose corn syrup, which carries potential for a toxic response in the digestive system and thus should be avoided.
The reasons mentioned above are more than enough to tell you what tomato ketchup can do to a body. These points are enough to give up packed versions of tomato ketchup. Does it mean you can never eat your favorite ketchup? Absolutely NO! what all you need is concern towards health and a bit of time to get the same taste in the home made ketchup. Thus, switching to healthier option is good to our body.
Why home made tomato ketchup?
The recipe of tomato ketchup i provided is completely safe to eat. Just to mention that consumption of any thing more than required harms the body anyway. Thus, the recipe i prepared is free from any preservative or harmful ingredient.
In order to make this recipe safe to eat i substituted various ingredients. I replaced refined sugar with brown sugar, no food color, tamarind pulp i used was naturally prepared, rock salt, no preservatives, lemon juice in place of vinegar. So all these ingredients passes the ketchup for consumption purpose. And when it comes to preparing home tomato ketchup, the doubts and concerns are automatically wiped out.
Benefits of tomato ketchup
- There are some health benefits as well of tomato ketchup. It cuts down cholesterol. Tomato ketchup helps in cutting down bad cholesterol from the body. There is no oil in it. We prepare such a tasty tomato ketchup with zero percent of oil proportion in it.
- It improves eyesight of the person. Tomato ketchup not only contains in it vitamin C and is low in fat, but also is rich in vitamin A which boosts immunity and probably adds to good visibility.
- Tomato ketchup promotes male fertility and increases sperm count. Studies have found that Lycopene increases sperm count by 70%. It also helps in decreasing abnormal sperms.
- Reduces the possibility of breast cancer. Consumption of tomato ketchup reduces the chances of breast cancer due to the presence of lycopene.
- Lycopene present in the tomato ketchup helps to reduce the risk of fat oxidant..
Nutritional chart of tomato ketchup
|Nutritional value||Per 100 grams measurement|
|Total fat||0.2 g|
Being aware about what you eat is essential. But people now a days carelessly buy products and blindly consume it. This is the reason, i always recommend, to see the nutritional chart of product you are supposed to consume.
Recipe of tomato ketchup : easy and tasty
Tomatoes(medium sized)- 5-6 nos
Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
brown sugar- 2 tbs
rock salt- 1 tsp
Tamarind pulp- 1 tbs
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Preparation for tomato ketchup
- Select red medium sized tomatoes from the market.
- Wash them properly. Cut down each tomato in 4 parts.
- In a pressure cooker add 5-6 tomatoes, 1/2 cup water and cook them till 3-4 whistles.
- Once done, open the lid of pressure cooker.
- Transfer tomatoes to one bowl and remaining juice of the tomatoes to another(save the juice for later)
- Allow tomatoes to cool down. Once cool, transfer the tomatoes to the mixer grinder and make a fine puree.
- Now using a filterer sieve the puree and add tomato juice as well to it.(i saved some juice to add while cooking tomatoes ).
- Next, heat a pan on high flame and add filtered tomato puree to it. Cook it for 5-7 minutes.
- At this stage, add tamarind pulp (or take 1/4th cup of hot water and soak small amount of tamarind to it, for 20-30 minutes). Along with it add brown sugar 2 tbs, 1 tsp rock salt, 1/2 tsp red chili powder and 1 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar to the puree.
- Cook and stir all the ingredients well. Cook the puree for more 10-15 minutes.
- Once it thickens and reduced to almost half, it will also change its color. At this stage taste a bit of your sauce, if there is no taste of boiled tomatoes, it is done. In case it has a taste of boiled tomatoes, cook it more.
- Your health friendly and tasty ketchup is ready! Try this tasty home made ketchup with healthy wheat momos and veg puff patty.
Dos’ and donts’
- Do not choose tomatoes which are not red. Red tomatoes are essential.
- Do not add any water while cooking the puree.
- Use brown sugar or mishri only because health is priority.
- In case you do not have red chili powder, you can make a powder of dried red chili at home or chili flakes can also be added.
Tomato ketchup or chemical ketchup
Tomato ketchup has it is own benefits but benefits depends on the fact whether the ketchup is home made or not. Irony is that the packed ketchup contains less than 25 percent of tomatoes which is good for nothing. Intention is not to offend any brand or market product but the ingredient list at the back says a lot and reveals many things.
Well, preparing ketchup following the recipe provided above has its health benefits. As there are no preservatives. Thus, choice is yours whether tomato ketchup or chemical ketchup.
This a must try recipe of tomato ketchup. The taste of home made tomato ketchup resembles clearly with the market ones. However, there is a lot of difference between the healthiness value and ingredients between the two.
Also read : veg puff patty
Follow us Instagram