Table of content
- 1 Bread: How far is it healthy?
- 1.1 White bread
- 1.2 Whole wheat bread
- 1.3 Brown bread
- 1.4 Multigrain bread
- 1.5 Recipe of whole wheat bread
- 1.6 Conclusion
Bread: How far is it healthy?
So what comes to your mind when you hear this term “bread” !? May be slices of white bread, brown bread or multigrain bread depending on what you actually consume, right!? So people on an average consume either of these breads. So we will try to find out how each of this kind of variety of bread is good for health. And i will also be giving step by step recipe of whole wheat bread along with pictures and gifs, below.
This is for that part of population who consume white bread in their breakfast, snacks or may be in restaurants and cafes in form of burgers or sandwiches. So did you ever turned the packet of your favorite brand of bread !? I don’t think so! But you should and you must turn the packet
and see the ingredients mentioned on it.
Let me list down a few of them for you- refined flour, palm oil, gluten, milk solids, and much more which you already know how much are these harmful for our health. But why we yet switch to it !? Just because of taste or because we don’t care enough of ourselves !? May be both! But it is high time that you should start understanding your body.
Consuming white bread may easily cause you diabetes, obesity and other heart diseases. Refined flour in itself is harmful for the consumption. It also raises blood sugar and insulin. Negative effects doesn’t end here. It further causes metabolic dysfunction.
Refined flour is depleted in nutrients which our body needs for proper growth and contains harmful additives. Refined flour also lessens the good nutrients of healthier diets you intake.
Not only it takes a lot of time to digest but also create multiple dysfunctions in our body so be aware of it! And drop your habit of consuming white breads. White breads which are available in market not merely contain in them refined flour but other preservatives and harmful chemicals
which is enough to effect our body adversely if consumed on regular basis.
Some queries about white bread :-
Is white bread made of maida (all purpose flour)?
Absolutely. White bread is hundred percent refined flour or maida, which has no nutrition and no health benefit, instead can harm your body in the long term.
Can i eat bread everyday?
No. One should not consume bread everyday. And in case it is white bread, then do not even consume it occasionally. If you are talking about brown bread or so called whole wheat bread ( they have less 30-40 percent of wheat flour, rest is all purpose flour), even then do not prefer consuming it because anyways what all it will do is harm ! It has refined sugar and refined oil along with carbs and preservatives which is enough to effect the functioning within your body.
Can i eat white bread on diet?
Absolutely no. White bread is not even recommended in normal days, no matter if you skinny or fit. SO do not eat white bread anyhow.
Whole wheat bread
Well, with the advancement of society and technology, people are becoming more aware, and concerned towards themselves. Whole wheat bread is an classic example of growing concern among many people.
I personally favor whole wheat bread. So what comes to your mind when you hear “whole wheat” !? May be a category of bread which completely contains within it 100%wheat, and this is actually what the term whole wheat means.
Although you are correct with your thought but when you buy a packet of whole wheat bread from market, may be their definition of whole wheat doesn’t matches yours! Here we go again, just take favorite pack of whole wheat bread and read all the ingredients.
This is not to say that no brand is fulfilling their job. There are very rare brands in market which actually guarantees 100% whole wheat but their demand is too low. But you surely can find them and before purchasing one, turn the packet, see the percentage of whole wheat and only if you are satisfied then buy.
Also the whole wheat bread that I said i actually prefer is whole wheat bread that I bake at home with least ingredients (100% whole wheat flour, with 0 preservatives and chemicals). Below is the recipe of whole wheat bread and ingredients that you will be needing.
So if you really think that you are eating something healthy in comparison with white bread then you are right but if you consider wheat bread of market to be healthiest then give it another thought !!
Well there is a thin line difference between whole wheat bread and brown bread. On one hand, whole wheat means that it must contain most or all amount of wheat. Later means brown bread which is meant to be whole wheat but it actually contains some artificial colors. This is more harmful for health. Also brown bread consists of least amount of wheat.
Whole wheat bread includes bran, vitamins, minerals, protein and fat in it. While brown bran is prepared a way through which many nutrients are stripped off. During the process of making brown bread most of the healthy ingredients are washed off making it no less than white bread. Thus, before buying one brown bread just turn the pack. You may not found more 40-50% of wheat in it because rest is REFINED FLOUR!! And again except the 50% of wheat, other ingredients are almost same.
So better better go for 100% whole wheat bread. As, nothing could be more better than home made breads.
This is something that dominates any other kind of bread. It not merely consists of wheat but other flours and bran also. These are extremely healthy and good for health. These grains are rich in protein, fiber and B vitamins. They provide our body with complex carbohydrates. In multigrain breads flax seeds,millet, oats and barley are present which really good for health.
But again, when it comes to the multigrain breads available in grocery store, they aren’t much good.
Although they are much much better than brown or white breads available yet make sure you see ingredients if they actually consists of multiple grains and flour.
Again, in my further posts I will share the recipe of multigrain bread along with the links to ingredients needed.
So what i suggest personally is switching to home baked breads which are highly rich in their nutrients and certainly healthiest form of breads. However it doesn’t take much time to make breads at home, still you are running out of time to do so, go through the ingredients before buying one from the market.
I have elaborately explained about white, brown and multigrain breads along with their pros and cons. You yourself can choose what’s best for you. So, choice is yours !!
There are some questions that people often ask :-
Is bread really bad for you ?
Depends on which are you asking about. If it is white bread, i cannot be healthy and is extremely bad to your health. If it is brown bread, it is better than white bread but yet not recommended good to health for regular consumption. What could be best is hundred per cent whole wheat bread or multigrain bread too.
Is it cheaper to bake your own bread?
Definitely! It just takes 2 cups of whole wheat and a bit of other ingredients to bake a healthy, tasty and pocket friendly bread. A good quality bread costs INR 50 or more than that. Making it at home is the best thing one could try for.
Why is supermarket bread so bad?
- Contains refined flour and are a lot adulterated
- Loaded with preservatives
- No check of the quality of ingredients used
- super market breads are money oriented and not HEALTH oriented
Recipe of whole wheat bread
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Baking time||30 minutes|
Choosing right quality of yeast is important. There are two types of yeast. Active dry yeast and instant yeast. Active dry yeast needs to be dissolved in lukewarm water before using it, as it needs to be activated before use. On the other hand instant yeast can directly be used in any recipe. In my recipe i have used instant yeast which takes an hour to get doubled when mixed in flour.
- Whole wheat flour – 2 and a half cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- powdered brown sugar – 1 tbs
- Butter/olive oil – 1-2 tbs
- Yeast – 1/2tsp
- Warm water – as required
Preparation for bread
- In a big bowl, take 2.5 cups of whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast. Mix everything well.
- Now, start adding warm water to it and knead a sticky dough. Dough should not be hard. Knead the dough while adding small amount of water at a time.
- In case you are using active dry yeast, take 1/2 tsp yeast and sugar 1/2 tsp and dissolve both of them in 1/4th cup lukewarm water.
- Once the dough is bind well, start kneading it by stretching method. Stretching method means stretch the dough well and then collect it, and keep on repeating this process. Knead the dough with this method for at least 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take a small amount of butter in your hand and and knead it again. Knead dough by this way using a small amount of butter at a time. Knead it for 5 minutes. 2 table spoon of butter is required in kneading. (You can reduce the amount of butter to 1 tbs if not required 2 tbs)
- Now, when your sticky dough is ready, transfer it to another bowl and cover it. Allow it to rest for 1 hour. Keep the dough at warm place.
- After an hour, take the dough out. Grease the baking tin very well and place your dough in it.
- Again leave the dough at warm place for another 30 minutes.
- Now its time to bake the dough:
Baking with oven
- Pre heat the oven for 10 minutes at toast mode.
- Now, keep the dough for baking at 200 degree C., for 25-30 minutes.
- After the time is over, check if the bread is done using a knife or toothpick. If it comes out clean, it is done. If not, then allow it to bake for another 5-7 minutes, depending on how much raw is it.
Baking without oven
- Take a deep pan and keep either a stand or a layer of salt over it. Cover it with lead and allow it to pre heat for 10 minutes at high flame.
- After 10 minutes, keep the bread tin inside it and cover the lead. Flame should be low. It takes 30-35 minutes to bake. You can check if bread is done using a knife or toothpick. If still raw, allow it to bake for another 5-10 minutes.
Once bread is done, you can cover it with a wet muslin cloth to keep it softer. Once it is completely cool, you can cut it into pieces.
Some Dos and Dont’s
- Keeping the dough at warm place is essential for activation of yeast. Dough may take more than an hour sometimes depending on the quality of yeast.
- Total kneading time should be 15 minutes ideally.
- Pre heating is necessary.
- Cut the bread into pieces only after when cool down.
Home made bread are easier to make and healthier for us. Although it took 45 minutes to prepare it but this effort is worth investing when it comes to health. Thus, switching to homely as well as healthy is best alternative.
Also see : Recipe of healthy patty
Follow us on Instagram