Table of content
- 1 Whole wheat recipe of cake
- 2 HISTORY
- 3 ORIGINAL RECIPE OF CAKE
- 4 Healthy whole wheat recipe of cake
- 5 Why whole wheat recipe of cake?
- 6 Substituting ingredients for whole wheat recipe of cake
- 7 Some FAQs
- 7.1 Does wheat jaggery cake tastes bitter?
- 7.2 What is the ratio of oil and wheat flour in baking cakes?
- 7.3 Wheat flour cake has turned out solid what can be done now?
- 7.4 Let us begin with the whole wheat recipe of cake (eggless fluffy wheat cake)
- 7.5 Whole wheat recipe of cake: procedure
- 8 Some Dos and Don’ts
Whole wheat recipe of cake
Cake is a type of dessert or sweet dish prepared from flour, sugar and other ingredients. Cake is usually baked. Earlier, cakes were merely modifications of breads but now there is range of cakes varying from different flavors, sizes and categories. There are pastries, meringues, custards, and pies. Recipe of cake varies from simple to elaborate. Originally, cakes available in market are unhealthy. But there can also be whole wheat recipe of cake, obviously without compromising on the taste.
Cake has a long history. The word cake derives from Viking origin, from the old Norse “kaka”. The recipe of cake includes flour mixed with honey, nuts, eggs and milk. There was also cake called “Satura”, which was flat heavy cake.
Earlier, in England cakes were essential bread. The most basic difference between cake and bread was cooking procedure and their shapes.
ORIGINAL RECIPE OF CAKE
Whether it is bakery, restaurants or baking at home, recipe of cake includes more or less similar ingredients. Originally, cake has been prepared using flour which basically is refined flour. Today also, it is prepared using refined flour.
However, refined flour is extremely unhealthy for our body. It also effects functioning of our body in the long term. Refined flour does not have fibers. Not only this, but it congests the system and slows down digestive functioning within our body. It is simply deficient in nutrients.
Thus, switching to a healthy recipe of cake is a great option.
Not only refined flour, but recipe of cake consists of refined oil, which too, no less affects our body functioning in the long run. This oil is basically hydrogenated oils, which are dangerous products in market today. It also consists of trans-fat which too is harmful for our body functioning.
Refined sugar is another equally used ingredient for recipe of cake. Refined sugar or normal sugar is way too unhealthy, and consumption of it in large amount may increases risks of various diseases.
Healthy whole wheat recipe of cake
Here is homely and healthy, with its new whole wheat recipe of cake which is healthy as well as tasty. One can easily bake cake in home with most of the ingredients available in the kitchen. Not only you will find recipe of cake in oven but also the recipe of cake without an oven or microwave. Steps in this recipe includes pictures and gifs at every level.
Why whole wheat recipe of cake?
Cake is the most demanding dessert and is one of the most favorite sweet dishes, mostly attracting children. But it is disappointing to know that how parents carelessly buy their children such unhealthy cakes. Most of the people all over India and across the world are careless indeed. They consciously or unconsciously consume cakes, pastries without giving a thought to its long term effects. Cakes are the demand of any occasion, whether it is birthday parties, New Year celebrations, weddings, or Christmas. Hence, what could be best than preparing cake within home, with hundred percent Quality check.
In today’s time, owners of the shops or shopkeepers are certainly profit oriented. How they prepare it, and what quality of ingredients use, raises trust issues which is inevitable. This is not to say that all bakeries fall on same bracket but most of them do. Hence, there is really need for a healthy version of cake without compromising with taste. Most of all, all ingredients are generally available in your kitchen.
Substituting ingredients for whole wheat recipe of cake
In order to get best quality healthy whole wheat cake, there is certainly need to substitute all harmful ingredients with healthier ones. As already mentioned, a lot of ingredients used in flour cake or normal bakery/market cakes are extremely unhealthy. These ingredients must be avoided in any recipe considering harmful chemicals they might contain. So, here is the list of some harmful ingredients present in flour cakes and how we can replace them with their better substitutes.
We can replace –
- Refined flour with whole wheat flour. One can use whole wheat flour with bran as well, just remember to filter it. Try to choose best packet of wheat flour from all available in the market.
- Refined sugar with brown sugar/ Mishri (crystalized sugar lumps) /jaggery /stevia. Mishri should be the threaded one, not the refined one. One can opt for jaggery keeping in mind its taste. As there will a separate taste of jaggery one may find in the prepared recipe of whole wheat cake. Stevia are available in the market in form of powder, leaves or tablets, where any of them can be used depending on convenience. Either of these is good substitute of refined sugar and are better than refined sugar.
- Refined oil with olive oil or unsalted/white butter. Either of them are much better than refined oil.
- Only full fat milk. Skimmed and low fat milks are not good to health. Milk powder is not recommended.
- Before purchasing cocoa powder make sure it is natural, and not filled with preservatives and chemicals.
- Home-made condensed milk should be used. (Recipe of this is in another blog, link of which is at the end of this article).
Does wheat jaggery cake tastes bitter?
No. Make sure that the jaggery you use in wheat cake or in any recipe, is dark in color. Darker the color of jaggery, lesser it is adulterated and more it is pure. Sometimes when the jaggery is adulterated, it may taste bitter. Otherwise, if you use good quality jaggery, it will not add bitterness to the cake. You may find the taste of jaggery dominative but it will not taste bitter.
What is the ratio of oil and wheat flour in baking cakes?
If you are using 1 cup of wheat flour than oil/butter should be taken 1/4th cup. Wheat flour is denser in texture than refined or all purpose flour, that is why at least 1/4 th cup is required for one cup of wheat flour.
Wheat flour cake has turned out solid what can be done now?
That could be due to over baking of cake or when the amount of butter is less. Also cake turns harder when batter is thicker than required. But it can be fixed. If your cake turned out to be harder, wrap it with wet muslin cloth. Before applying anything over cake, when it is hot, only then cover it with muslin cloth. If cake is cooled down you can brush some warm milk or sugar syrup. It may help to soften up to some extent.
Let us begin with the whole wheat recipe of cake (eggless fluffy wheat cake)
step by step recipe with Gifs and pictures
- Whole wheat flour – ½ cup
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Mishri – 3 tbs
- Oil/butter – 2 tbs
- Milk – ½ cup + 1 tbs
- Cocoa powder – 2 tbs
- Rock salt – a pinch
- Vanilla essence – ¼ tsp (optional)
- Condensed milk – 2 regular spoon
Whole wheat recipe of cake: procedure
FOR DRY MIX
Step 1: In a bowl, take ½ cup wheat flour, powdered mishri, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder. Add a pinch of rock salt.
Step 2: Sieve all of them together at least twice. And mix them well.
FOR WET INGREDIENTS
Step 3; Take another bowl and add 2 tbs butter and 2 regular spoon of home made condensed milk. Beat them well and add ½ cup + 1 tbs milk.
Mix them well.
Step 4: Now, in the bowl of wet mix add dry mix. Add dry mix in two batches. Do not over mix. Mix the batter gently.
Step 5: Once batter is ready, grease the baking tin. Add batter to it and tap it twice.
Step 6: On gas flame, place heavy bottom pan and place metal stand on it. (One can replace metal stand with salt or sand. Just spread the thick layer of sand/salt evenly and you can place baking tin on it).
Cover the lid and allow it to pre-heat for 5 minutes.
Place baking tin on the stand and cover it with lid. Allow it to cook at low flame for 35-40 minutes.
In pre-heated oven, bake it for 30 minutes at 200 degree C. at bake mode.
Step 8: After 40 minutes, insert a knife or toothpick to check if it comes clean. If it comes outside clean then it is ready.
Step 9: Allow it cool and decorate it with your favorite dry fruit.
Some Dos and Don’ts
- Sieving is an essential step while dealing with whole wheat flour. DO NOT SKIP.
- Do not over mix.
- Vanilla essence is optional in my whole wheat recipe of cake. If you want to add it, mix it in wet ingredients.
- Baking time can vary depending on oven.
- Milk should be warm. Butter should be at room temperature. Powdered mishri and brown sugar.
- Whether oven or pan, pre-heating is essential.
Follow us on Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/homelyandhealthy/